Monday, September 7, 2020

Vertical Stabilizer, Epoxy On Vacation

Looking forward to giving my epoxy skills a rest. I'll be focusing next on the center wing sections, so it will be awhile before I'll need to indulge again.

Now that I've completed the rudder and horizontal stabilizer, the vertical stabilizer should be a breeze, right? Well, yes, it was getting easier.

Garage tech indeed.

Fitting the cross braces amounted to aligning the foam with small pencil marks and using my thumbnail to score a line. Cutting with a bare hacksaw blade, a hair oversize, then bringing down to size with a 100 grit garnet paper sanding block.

As learned previously, I layed-up the short brace pieces of fiberglass tape first, then glued the longer pieces over them. I also made use of the microballoon filler after the initial gluing. Also, paste waxing the melamine work surface worked like a charm in resisting any stray epoxy.

The top and bottom are coated with epoxy to resist the eventual melting effects of the Dacron covering chemicals.
High tech, it ain't.





Holding off on drilling holes until ready to assemble.

Hanging from ceiling makes placing fiberglass tape much easier.




1 comment:

  1. The Fab Four are so underrated! Oops, sorry. Thought this was the BeatlesЯGroovy comment section.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments and advice are welcome!